Blue Dog Coalition Announces Leadership for the 117th Congress
WASHINGTON—Today, the Democratic Blue Dog Coalition announced its leadership for the 117th Congress. The Coalition has a total of 18 members, representing districts from Maine to Hawaii, who are dedicated to the organization’s longstanding policy focus of fiscal responsibility, a strong national defense, and a pragmatic approach to governance.
The Blue Dog Coalition’s leadership for the 117th Congress will include the following:
- Rep. Stephanie Murphy (FL-07), Co-Chair for Administration
- Rep. Ed Case (HI-01), Co-Chair for Policy and Legislative Strategy
- Rep. Tom O’Halleran (AZ-01), Co-Chair for Communications and Outreach
STATEMENTS FROM BLUE DOG LEADERSHIP FOR THE 117TH CONGRESS:
“I am grateful for the opportunity to again lead this principled and pragmatic group of House Democrats,” said Rep. Stephanie Murphy (FL-07). “As our government navigates this unprecedented health and economic crisis, Blue Dogs will continue to reach across the aisle to find common ground and improve the lives of Americans. In this new Congress, our coalition remains committed to pursuing bipartisan cooperation, being fiscally responsible, and protecting our national security. We look forward to being constructive allies in the fight to secure our children’s future and ensure our country emerges from this moment stronger than before.”
“Most all Americans support fiscal responsibility and national security, and I am proud to continue in the 117th Congress as a member of the Blue Dog Coalition which for over a quarter of a century now has been a guardian of these principles in Congress,” said Rep. Ed Case (HI-01). “I am especially honored to be selected by my colleagues as Coalition Co-Chair for Policy and Legislative Strategy. I truly look forward to working with my colleagues and any and all others who share our commitment to responsible and inclusive government toward forging practical solutions to these and so many other challenges of our times.”
“Serving in the House Blue Dog Coalition has been my honor these past four years and I am humbled to be able to carry on as Co-Chair for Communications and Outreach,” said Rep. Tom O’Halleran (AZ-01). “Last year, we saw firsthand how out of touch Washington is with the needs of American families in communities small and large across our nation—too many struggling Arizonans were left out to dry while partisan bickering dominated Congress. I am proud to be part of this coalition of commonsense members who are committed to correcting this injustice through bipartisanship, listening to the people we are sworn to represent, and working together to deliver the kind of COVID-19 relief that suffering families, hospitals, small businesses, and localities need.”
BACKGROUND ON THE BLUE DOG LEADERSHIP OF THE 117TH CONGRESS:
- Rep. Stephanie Murphy (FL-07), Co-Chair for Administration: Rep. Murphy made history last Congress as the first woman of color to lead the Blue Dog Coalition in the organization’s history when she served as Co-Chair for Administration. She will remain in that position for the 117th Congress. She serves on the House Ways and Means Committee. She was elected to Congress in 2016. Prior to her service in Congress, Murphy was a businesswoman and college instructor after serving as a national security specialist in the Office of the U.S. Secretary of Defense where she received numerous awards for her distinguished service, including the Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Civilian Service. She worked on a wide range of security issues from counterterrorism to foreign military relations to strategic planning for the department.
- Rep. Ed Case (HI-01), Co-Chair for Policy and Legislative Strategy: Building on his leadership as Co-Chair of the Blue Dog Task Force on Fiscal Responsibility and Government during the 116th Congress, Rep. Case will serve as the Blue Dog Coalition’s Co-Chair for Policy and Legislative Strategy for the 117th Congress. He is the first member of the delegation from Hawaii to serve as a member of leadership for the Blue Dog Coalition in the organization’s 25-year history. Rep. Case serves on the House Committee on Appropriations and the House Committee on Natural Resources. Congressman Case previously represented Hawaii's Second Congressional District 2002 to 2007, during which he was a member of the Blue Dog Coalition. He also served as Hawai'i State Representative from 1994 to 2002 in various positions including Majority Leader. Following his initial service as U.S. Representative, Case practiced law for seven years with the Honolulu firm of Bays Lung Rose & Holma, where he also served as managing attorney. He then served for five years as Senior Vice President and Chief Legal Officer of Outrigger Enterprises Group, one of Hawaii's oldest hotel and resort companies with properties throughout Hawai'i and the Pacific-Asia-Indian Ocean region.
- Rep. Tom O’Halleran (AZ-01), Co-Chair for Communications and Outreach: After serving as the Blue Dog Coalition’s Co-Chair for Policy during the 116th Congress, Rep. O’Halleran will serve as the Coalition’s Co-Chair for Communications and Outreach for the 117th Congress. Rep. O’Halleran currently serves on the House Committee on Energy and Commerce and the House Agriculture Committee. He was elected to Congress in 2016. Prior to his service in Congress, O’Halleran served three consecutive terms in the Arizona House of Representatives followed by a term in the Arizona State Senate. At the beginning of his career, O’Halleran joined the Chicago Police Department, where he was an officer and then a sergeant in a special operations unit. O’Halleran was later commissioned to be one of the youngest homicide investigators in the city’s history.